This 6-day course is an intense, interactive and realistic experience providing students with information on various types of forensic evidence and related information that can be gathered at a fire scene and the knowledge and skills to document, collect and submit evidence for investigations. Students will be required to perform realistic, hands-on practicals of collecting and submitting items of evidence.
This course is offered in a blended format; students are assigned videos to view, discussion boards and other activities 2 weeks prior to arrival with corresponding course work. Students who fail to complete the pre-arrival distance learning activities will be removed from the resident portion of the course, not permitted access to the National Emergency Training Center, and forfeit stipend reimbursement.
Students must bring a laptop or tablet and copies of National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 921, Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigations (2021) and NFPA 1033, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Investigator (2022) to class.
Successful completion of this course satisfies the training and education requirements for International Association of Arson Investigators Evidence Collection Technician certification.
Full-time public service personnel tasked with fire investigative duties. Priority will be reserved for students who have completed R0772 or R0206 - 2015 or later.
Applicants who are not employed full time in the fire investigation field may be eligible. Applicants must submit a detailed letter from the chief of the department attesting to their position, duties and responsibilities as related to fire investigation and involvement with the prosecution of state or federal arson laws, including responsibilities to conduct interviews and collect and submit evidence.
Incident Command System (ICS)-100-level and ICS-200-level training. Preferred courses are Q462 and Q463 available through NFA Online. Chief's signature attests that the applicant has completed required training.
Applicants must meet ONE of the following sections:
- Successful completion of the National Fire Academy’s (NFA's) "Fire Investigation: Essentials" (R0772 or R0206 - 2015 or later) course.
- Additionally, successful completion (above 80%) of any fire investigation training which totals 40 hours. (NFA courses R0204, R0205, R0206, R0214 and R0255 may be counted toward this requirement.)
- Successful completion (above 80%, 3.0 or B) of in-person and tested fire investigation-specific training which totals 120 hours. Applicants must provide documentation (transcripts or certificates) to reach the 120-hour level. Hours credited toward State FIT or CFI certificates may count toward this requirement. (CFITrainer.net courses do not count toward this requirement.)
Successful completion of the following CFITrainer.net classes:
- Introduction to Evidence: Physical Evidence at the Fire Scene.
- The Potential Value of Electronic Evidence in Fire Investigations.
- Fundamentals of Interviewing.
- Digital Photography and the Fire Investigation.
- Emerging Technologies in Fire Investigation.
Applicants must provide a copy of their CFITrainer.net transcript and all documentation to support prerequisite requirements at the time of application. Documentation (certificates, transcripts, certifications and letters) must be clear, readable, concise, show hours required to meet thresholds and be attached to the application at time of submission.
Note: Due to the timeframe between the NFA application period and class attendance, accepted students are required to refresh the above CFITrainer.net classes to show a "refreshed" date within 60 days of the first day of class attendance. Refreshed certificates must be uploaded to the LMS prior to arrival on campus.
|April 2 - 7, 2023||Wait List Opportunity||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|May 21 - 26, 2023||Cancelled||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|August 27, 2023 - September 1, 2023||Vacancies Apply||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|September 24 - 29, 2023||Vacancies Apply||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|October 15 - 20, 2023||Apply between 4/15/2023 - 6/15/2023||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|December 10 - 15, 2023||Apply between 4/15/2023 - 6/15/2023||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|May 19 - 24, 2024||Apply between 10/15/2023 - 12/15/2023||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|June 23 - 28, 2024||Apply between 10/15/2023 - 12/15/2023||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|August 25 - 30, 2024||Apply between 10/15/2023 - 12/15/2023||Emmitsburg, Maryland|