This 6-day course is designed to guide students in gaining and sharing the knowledge, skills and abilities to effectively develop, manage and lead hazardous materials and/or other all-hazards special operations response capabilities used in specialized emergency response. Upon completion of the course, students learn how to analyze the complexities, dynamics and interrelationships of the components of special operations.
Through the interactive lecture, group activities and testing, the students will study:
- Identification of special operations components.
- Identification of the interrelationships between each discipline and demonstration of how the manager balances the influences of diverse components.
- Managing all related disciplines under the same programmatic procedures.
- Balancing the “spider web” with an understanding of all the unique internal and external demands and influences.
- The course uses lessons learned on how to identify the needs and develop, implement and sustain a hazardous materials/special operations program.
Students will learn to ensure the program meets the needs of the community and the current standard of care. Historical examples, current models and best practices for community risk-based special response capability development and sustainment are included in the course materials.
This course is not an operational incident management course.
Pre-course materials and course syllabus
|Welcome Letter, BYOD Instructions, Precourse Assignment:||https://nfa.usfa.fema.gov/ax/pcm/pcm_r0254.pdf PDF 1,124KB|
|Course Syllabus:||https://nfa.usfa.fema.gov/ax/syll/syllabus_r0254.pdf PDF 140KB|
- Hazardous materials/special operations team coordinators, managers and personnel aspiring to become coordinators and managers.
- Personnel responsible for training, equipping and sustaining specialized response resources.
- Personnel responsible for the supervision or leadership of a hazardous materials or special operations team or company.
|April 2 - 7, 2023||Wait List Opportunity Apply||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|September 24 - 29, 2023||Vacancies Apply||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|November 12 - 17, 2023||Apply between 4/15/2023 - 6/15/2023||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|March 3 - 8, 2024||Apply between 4/15/2023 - 6/15/2023||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|May 19 - 24, 2024||Apply between 10/15/2023 - 12/15/2023||Emmitsburg, Maryland|
|September 8 - 13, 2024||Apply between 10/15/2023 - 12/15/2023||Emmitsburg, Maryland|