Need help registering for the National Master List or have a question?
We’re here to answer your questions Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. Eastern time.
You can contact us by:
Calling 800-238-3358 x1263 or 301-447-1263.
Sending an email to email@example.com.
The Hotel and Motel Fire Safety Act of 1990 encourages fire safety in places that offer lodging to the public. Fire safety is encouraged through creation of a national master list (NML) of hotel and motel properties that comply with the provisions of the Act.
Properties on the NML:
- Have voluntarily registered.
- Have at least 1 single-station and hard-wired smoke alarm in each guest room.
- Have an automatic fire sprinkler system in each guest room for buildings that are 4 or more stories tall.
- Are approved for U.S. federal government employees while on official travel. If your property is on the NML, it is eligible for lodging selection by federal travelers.
The U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), maintains the NML.
How to register for the NML
- Complete the online application. There is no fee or charge for listing.
- Follow the instructions you will receive in an email from us to verify your registration.
- You may have to grant access to a fire inspector or provide a copy of the Certificate of Occupancy.
- After we determine the property meets the requirements, we will assign it a FEMA ID and add it to the NML. The FEMA ID does not expire.
- You can update property information online or by calling 301-447-1263.
Only properties located in the United States or its territories are eligible for the NML.