List of approved hotels and motels for federal travelers

for Property Managers...

for Federal Travelers...

This page is provided for U.S. Federal Government travelers required to stay in properties listed on the Hotel-Motel National Master List when on official travel.

Frequently asked questions

Disaster sheltering assistance

Disaster survivors seeking Transitional Sheltering Assistance (TSA): please visit to locate a participating hotel or motel.

Hotels or motels wishing to join the Emergency Lodging Assistance Program: please visit to register.

What is the Hotel and Motel Fire Safety Act?
The Hotel and Motel Fire Safety Act of 1990 encourages fire safety in places offering accommodations and lodging to the public. Fire safety in places of public accommodation is encouraged through creation of a National Master List (NML) of hotel and motel properties that voluntarily comply with the provisions of the Act.
What makes a hotel or motel eligible for the NML and a FEMA ID?
The Hotel and Motel Fire Safety Act of 1990 requires that each guestroom in a place of public accommodation offer a minimum level of fire safety. This means having at least one, single-station, hard-wired smoke alarm in each guest room and if the building is four or more stories in height, each room must have additional protection provided by an automatic fire sprinkler system.
How do I list a facility and get a FEMA ID?
A business providing lodging or extended-stays to the public must submit an application through the Register a Property page of the USFA website. The decision to comply with the Act is voluntary and there is no fee or charge for listing.

How do I update my record?
You should first attempt to login to the Change a Listing webpage to access your property record. Logging in requires that you have your FEMA ID and the EIN. The EIN or Employer Identification Number is the business owner’s taxpayer identification number. If you cannot login, it is most likely due to an incorrect EIN in our records. In that case, contact the USFA via email or by telephone at (301) 447-1263.

More Frequently Asked Questions »